Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Get fit like gorilla's are chasing you?!

The Chase

My family and friends know I have been determined to become a runner for the past six months are so.  I have been set back several times by injuries and excuses.  Previous to December 6, 2012...I made it though a lot of treadmill and elliptical cardio in the gym.  But it was mindless and felt like torture.  I would see commercials with girls running.  They were the very essense of confidence and strength.  I had seen the inspirational Pinterst posts of the freedom running could bring.  I desperately wanted to feel like that.   

Don't get me wrong, my friends, I love weight lifting still.  It makes me feel powerful, strong, capable, and fierce.  But what about a sense of accomplishment, what about the high runners speak of at the end of a marathon?  What about overcoming a lifetime of telling myself, "You're not an athlete.  You've never been able to perform athletically."  It's really hard to abandoned years and years of self-doubt.

I was so tired of being afraid of everything.  Tired of telling myself my knees are weak, my shins will hurt, my back can't take it, there are no bras that will support me running.  All of these excuses of why I couldn't.  On December 6, 2012, I ran my first 5K.  I did it because I wanted help raise money for a local education foundation that supports mentorship of under privileged teens.  I didn't train before hand.  I was in horrible shape.  But I finished in under an hour.  I walked most of it but a ran some too.  I could barely move for the next four days.  That is when the chase began for me.

I got new shoes (see my previous post on show shopping). I got a new attitude.  I decided I would run and I started running.  Sometimes at the gym on the treadmill, sometimes on the track at the Y, it mostly outside on the beach and local park trails.  No excuses...just doing it.  Ad the weirdest thing happened.  Running stopped feeling like so,etching I had to get through and started being what I needed to relax my mind, distress my body, and get my creative juices flowing.

Two months later, I am signed up for two more 5Ks.  One is this coming Saturday and the other a month from now.  For the past four weeks, I have run 3 days a week using the Easy 5K with Jeff Galloway App.  I get stronger with every run.  Two days ago, I did 2.94 miles in 42:58 min.  I was outside on a park trail with small hills, some gravel paths, and a strong breeze.  I never stopped.  Afterwards...I felt amazing!  I realized I was going to be able to complete my next 5K with at least 10 minutes shaved off my time.

Gorilla Work Outs

My husband, Josh, comes to me and says, "Want to do a gorilla workout with me?"  Several mental images flashed through my mind.  Like the ones to the right.  However, he was talking about a fitness app.  Check out their info here

This week we started using the Gorilla Workout app.  Level 1, Day 1 was four cents of 8 squats, 4 walking lunges (right and left count as 1), 10 modified push ups.  I have never done a lot of body weight workouts.  It was a lot harder than I thought.  Every work out will be a little different and they will get progressively more challenging.  I love that we are working out together a couple nights a week now.  We have common goals that are aligned.  We will reach them at different paces but the complete support and encouragement makes the goals seem completely obtainable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment